07 August 2009

Thailand: The Land of Smiles

As I've mentioned before, James and I will be leaving for Thailand on August 28! We met with our group for the last time this past Sunday. The group consists of seven people. Five are over the age of fifty (two of these five have got to be in their seventies or eighties), and then there's me and James. This will be an interesting journey! I imagine we'll learn a great deal from our fellow teammates and, not to mention, from the trip itself.
The meeting on Sunday brought a real awareness to me of what we're actually doing at the end of this month. It's been three and a half years since I've served on a mission trip overseas. As with my experience before, I encountered a brief yet mind-numbing depressive state during June and July. You may recall that I touched on this subject in one of my previous blogs. I struggled with finding purpose in what I did day-to-day. I felt as if I were simply "going through motions", and for the most part I felt withdrawn. I went to family dinners and spent time with friends occasionally, but I myself was not in these activities.

"Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit." -Psalm 51:12

This verse really woke me up.Thankfully, God brought me out of the "pit" and set my feet back on a steady rock. I told James a week ago that "I am back!" I feel engaged in my daily tasks again, and I'm not shying away from people like I was before. Isn't that always how it goes? The moment we begin to feel weak and unsteady, we shy away from friends and family who would probably love to help us stand firm again. Either that or they'll push us down further. I think my fear is that I'll drag them down with me, so I try to deal with things by myself. Humans were never meant to be islands! I know this, but do I truly know this? You know what I mean? Haha.

Anyway, as I said before, I am back! I am hitting the ground running too...literally! Since about a week ago, I have really gotten motivated and serious about exercising. I've walked ( even jogged!) nearly every day for an entire week! This may seem like an easy thing to do, but for me it is quite an accomplishment! Now if only I can keep it up for another week and then another and so on for the rest of my life. Creating healthy habits that last. It can be difficult, but it's all about the long-term benefits. I don't want to seek after things that instantly gratify me...like ice cream. :)


Another habit that I have been sticking too is spending time in the Word daily. Yes, I know this is one of those things we should always be doing every day, but instead I've always struggled with "making time." Well, it's high time I throw that excuse out the window, and that's exactly what I've done! I've been able to view life differently ever since. God has given us this life to glorify Him. We need not waste a single moment!


"You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence there is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." -Psalm 16:11

1 comment:

Tommy said...

I hope you both have a wonderful time and get a sense of fulfillment from the work that you've been called to do.