20 December 2010

This Christmas Season, Part 3

-Finals...Not really Christmas-oriented but still a major part of this season when you're a student. James and I both took our final exams last week and made it to the other side of this semester in one piece! He ended up making three A's, a B, and a C, and I made two A's. We're both very happy with our grades, and we look forward to continuing on with our programs in the spring.

-Annual Caroling Party...Every year my friend Heidi and her family host a caroling party where their friends from all sorts of places come together to sing Christmas carols around their neighborhood. I've been several times in the past few years, but this year was the first that James could come. We walked around their neighborhood singing for about an hour and a half. Afterward, we went back to Heidi's house where we warmed ourselves by the fire and filled up on delicious finger foods and desserts prepared by Heidi and her mom, Mrs. Deborah. The group then played a couple rounds of a game called "Four Men on the Couch." We played guys against girls, and the guys won both times. We had such a great night making new friends and spending time reminiscing with old ones (well, not old but you know what I mean).


-Britt's 21st Birthday and Christmas with My Family...It's not easy separating the two because Britt's birthday comes only ten days before Christmas. This year James and I decided to spend this past weekend with my family and Christmas weekend with his. I know my mom wasn't keen on the idea, but it was for the best. My mom cooked an amazing meal of baked ham, hash-brown casserole, fried corn, baked green beans, and rolls. After dinner, we opened presents (which, by the way, we all said we weren't going to buy and did anyway). We drew names among the siblings. James got Britt's name. We combined her birthday and Christmas gift into one by getting her a gift certificate for a hair cut and style, a pedicure and a manicure. Eric drew my name, and he (actually my sister) bought me a 2011 Runner's Log Calender and earrings. I drew James' name, but I already gave him his gift. He insisted on wearing his new shoes before Christmas. Britt drew Eric's name, but the rest of the family wanted to wait until Christmas to exchange their gifts. My mom bought me a gift card to JCPenney, an iTunes gift card, and a lovely black, white and grey sweater wrap. Dad bought me a nutcracker (my first ever), a candy jar, and a really neat Galileo liquid thermometer to put in my office. Mom bought James a navy pull-over, a JCPenney gift card and an iTunes gift card, and my dad bought him a huge tool box with assorted tools and a faucet for his bathroom in the apartment (which he requested). Needless to say, we got way more than we asked for or deserve. My parents always outdo themselves to make us happy. God bless them for it. James and I bought my mom a calender and my family a blue-ray player. They were really excited (though I think they expected a Wii gaming console...maybe next year, guys).
 

-Cole Family Christmas Dinner...My dad comes from a big family that gets together at least twice a year for Independence Day and Christmas. The whole Cole family met at the family life center where James and I had our wedding reception for a get-together on Sunday night. There was a wide array of finger foods and desserts. Mom and I made sausage balls. It was all very tasty and enjoyable.

   

1 comment:

Tommy said...

Fun stuff all around! Way to go!