Since I have attended Baptist churches most of my life, I am unfamiliar with the observances of Ash Wednesday and Lent. I did attend one Ash Wednesday service at the local Catholic church when I was a senior in college, but I only did that to fulfill a requirement for my philosophy class. Other than that, I have had no experience with these rites.
A dear friend of mine attends a local Methodist church where Ash Wednesday and Lent are observed. She and I ate lunch together a few weeks ago, and she told me about one Lent season where she abstained from different foods and prayed diligently for her son. She said that she truly saw a difference in his life after the experience. Her faithfulness inspired me to want to participate in Lent this year. My family is dealing with a lot of different issues these days, and I don't pray for them enough. By observing Lent for the next forty days, I hope to commit my family to prayer more diligently than I ever have. I plan to abstain from sweets and fried foods. These are not good for our bodies, so it won't hurt me to fast from them for forty days. Only good can come from this experience. When I am tempted to eat something sweet or fried, I will pray for my family instead.
My friend and I agreed to help keep one another accountable. I pray that this experience will not only benefit my family through my prayers but that God will draw me closer to Himself. I hope to develop a stronger dependence on Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Our church although it's a non-denominational church observes lent. They put out a wonderful calendar about things to avoid and things to take on different days of the week. The also encouraged us to read a devotional about Lent. So I am doing both of those and excited to see what God does to me and through me during this time! I'm also excited to hear the things that He does in you and your family!
Ok, ok....no sweet treats for breakfast. I can take the hint.
Post a Comment