15 May 2011

Conviction, Confession, Freedom

A guest speaker delivered the message in Sunday school this morning. He covered a lot of material, but the message that stood out to me was this: Prepare yourself in private time with God so that when you're in public, you'll be ready for the opportunities God presents to you. Preparing myself for opportunities. This is something I have neglected recently. I have been reading God's Word, but I have neglected to open my heart to learn what He has for me and to know Him more. Because of this, I have missed opportunities. I felt convicted and ashamed this morning. The Sunday school lesson reminded me that reading the Bible is not enough. Spending quality time with God is absolutely necessary. It is during that time that we grow closer to God and that we become more like Him. I have not been acting like Him lately, and I sure do regret it.

God also spoke to my heart during our new pastor's message. Kylan preached on 1 John 1:8-2:2 and the message was entitled "When Christian's Sin". It was like God prepared Kylan to speak to me directly. 

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us. My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world." -1 John 1:8-2:2

Kylan covered the following questions:

1. Do Christians sin?

The answer: In 1 John 1:8, John states, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." In short, yes. Christians sin.

2. Should Christians sin?

The answer: In Romans 6:1-2, Paul states, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?" In short, no. Christians should not continue to live in a sinful lifestyle.

3. What happens when Christians sins?

The answer: In 1 John 2:1b, John states, "And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." Inevitably, we will sin, but we are not hopeless. Jesus defends us and pleads on our behalf. He took the sin on Himself when He died on the cross so that we may have a right relationship with God.

4. What should Christians do when they sin?

The answer: In John 1: 9, John states, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." We are not automatically able to enter into a right relationship with God just because we are Christians. We must confess our sins before our advocate, Jesus. Then He will make us clean.

Something else Kylan said this morning was that we should not condone sin. The word "condone" means to disregard,  overlook or excuse. Lately, I have been somewhat desensitized to sin and am guilty of condoning it as well as taking part in it. Thankfully though, by confessing my sin before my advocate, Jesus, I no longer have to carry the guilt and shame. I am made clean before God so that I may be at peace and experience joy in His presence. 

Thank you, Jesus, for saving me from myself and my sin. Please help me to become more like you so that when others see me, they see you...not the sinful, selfish person that I am. You have put me on this earth for your glory. Help me to glorify you in all my thoughts, words and actions. Amen.

No comments: